Paraton is a sizable country in the old world. It is the home to the United Clergy of Orun, a religious group which appears to hold a great deal of power, possibly forming a theocratic junta government. 20 years before the start of the story, peoples of all races and creeds existed in Paraton under a host of different banners dedicated to Orun, but it is implied that the UCO made quick work of this in their rise to prominence.
Specific towns exist in Paraton to perform certain functions for the clergy, such as training Clerics for their inevitable pairing with UCO Paladins.
Due to the beliefs of the United Clergy of Orun, members of certain races are killed on sight or live under extreme restrictions, and have been implied to have happened wholesale in the past.
Political Relationships Edit
Paraton is threatening war with Alivast. The official justification is their claim that Alivast is holding their oracle (Solly) hostage. Brorc is of the opinion that even if the Council was able to prove Solly is there of her own free will, that it wouldn't make any difference because Paraton is set on the course of conflict and simply looking for a convenient excuse. He also states that one of the only reasons why they have not attacked already is because of the Alivast winter and that unless the political landscape changes, an attack will come in the spring. According to Edward Enrobso, he feels Paraton views the freedom and welcoming nature of Alivast to be a blight upon their (the United Clergy's) values and the city is something they can not control.
Aasimar in Paraton live very restricted lives even by the United Clergy of Orun's standards. They are simultaneously deified and controlled and every aspect of their existence dictated by others who believe they are doing what is best. They are not allowed to marry or freely form friendly or physical relationships. They can take lovers or act as a consort, but only with people the Clergy has pre-approved. The justification is that the Clergy values the purity of the celestial-touched aasimar so highly that they feel only people who meet exacting standards of purity, social class, and proven piety should be allowed to interact or produce offspring with them.
Named Locations Edit
Crimson Isles Edit
Tiengo supposedly killed every single person on the Crimson Isles single handedly. This location is now considered cursed, though some citizens believe that resources should be used to address the situation there. There were multiple villages that were depopulated indicating a fairly substantial population.
Notable Citizens Edit
- The Speaker - the enigmatic leader of the United Clergy
- Viantius Apastrophi - some say he is second only to The Speaker
- Athtar the Herald of the Sun (deceased)
- Ragis Cade
- Icarus - an aasimar who is revered and not a disappointment like Solly or Diella
- Hellina (former; receiving asylum in Alivast)
- Solliandris (former; receiving asylum in Alivast)
- Paraton is roughly equivalent in size to France
- In-universe French toast is from Paraton, hence the name Paraton toast
- In terms of the sheer size of its military, Paraton has similar numbers as Tracadia or 5 or 6 of the smaller Alton region countries.
- According to the very likely biased views of its citizens, kobolds in Paraton are savage, bestial creatures that foam at the mouth and don't wear clothes.